Monday, May 08, 2006

Decisions decisions decisions......

I got an interview call few weeks ago.The job profile was very interesting.I loved the office.My interview went excellent.Everything was fine until the HR guys told me I would have to submit all my original marks card from 10th std onwards.They would hold onto it for a period of 2 years.2 years????Thats the way these companies retain their employees??Not by providing challenging jobs or an attractive pay packet but by confining them by these underhanded ways.Is it even legal?

Their point is that...They feel once the freshers get trained, they leap to another job so fast that they would put a leopard to shame.In the end, the company becomes a mere training centre.They lose a lot in terms of resource and time.The first year,the fresher is on probation,gets trained and in the second,he or she is expected to give back unto the company,what the company has trained them for.At the end of 2 years they would return the certificates.They claim that in case of "genuine" reasons like relocation or marriage where the spouse is leaving India,they would ..ummm...release us so to speak.

My argument is this....
1.Genuine is a broad and relative term.I say,if at the end of 1 year into a job,I get an offer from some other place which has a better profile and an even better growth potential for me,then wouldn't that be a genuine reason for me to shift?Loyalty is a wonderful trait,but should be at the cost of my career advancement,that too right at the beginning of it?
2.There is always the safety issue.Ofcourse,I know they won't use my certificates as tissue paper but a commercial organisation withholding academic certificates still unsettles me.Ok,here is a hypothetical scenario of an extreme case.What if the company gets sold to someone else during that 2 year period and the new chappies lose my certs.Then what??
3.Won't it be a psychological disadvantage to the employee at any point?There is no guarantee to anything.If I like the job,my boss,my colleagues then 2 years would seem negligible time but in the reverse case,I would suffer every second of it.More because I know I could'nt get out for 2 years which would prolong and drag till eternity.My enthusiasm would plummet and the quality of work would flag.Is it worth retaining any employee even then?

I spoke to N number of people.I got shuttled between the for and against of the arguement.
"2 years is hardly anytime to dedicate to something thats worth it,so don't worry,it'll fly by."
"Don't take it up,when freedom is denied,nothing makes up for it"
"You must prioritize."
"This industry has great potential"
"No,don't bother.Other better opportunities will come your way"
"Where and how do you see yourself 5 years from now?"

Everyone confused me till the point I couldn't hear their voices anymore.I felt I was sitting watching some tennis match,my thoughts moving left and right,wondering which side played the better game.This couldn't continue for too long.I was given 2 days to decide and I decided.I refused the job offer they made.My logic was that I would never be convinced of their method of retaining employees no matter how great the industry was.To me my sense of freedom is more important than any incentive a company can give.

I felt a little sad for a couple of days.I had to give up on a job that seemed interesting all because of one policy.I thought of the person who took the job instead of me.Then I forgot all about it till I got a call today from them.They were willing to hike my pay if I would join them.Hehehe...the conversation was lovely.I was excited to work for them all over again until they crowned it again with the policy.Well they couldn't bend it or waive it just for me but they were willing to do anything else that would help me take the job.

Wow!I guess thats what it feels like to be in demand,sought after but as this isn't a suspense or mystery story you all know what my answer was......

No comments: