Friday, April 03, 2009

Random verses III

Theme parties for children have become a fad nowadays. Or maybe they were there since before my time too but I feel they were never so popular with middle class families. Especially the South Indian middle class. We just wore new clothes, went to the temple and prayed. As my friend is planning a "Princess party" for her kid who is turning a year old, I now realise how much time, energy, creativity and money goes into it. But it is all great fun to do and whether the kids even realise it's their party or not becomes secondary, the adults have a good time.

I thought it would be nice if the party invite was a poem and so I penned this one down. Whether my friend uses it or not, I am quite proud of it. It's really very simple and generic.

Here ye you fine folks of my land,
this is a royal decree, my command.
A party is planned, it's coming our way
to celebrate my awaited First Birthday.
To my splendorous castle you are all invited,
for on the .....of May, it has been dated.
An evening filled with laughter and fun,
bring your partners, daughters and sons.
Close your shops, pack your hens,
stop all work and just cap your pens.
It isn't every year that a princess turns ONE,
we must celebrate and the mood has begun.
Follow the light of the northern star,
then turn right or you would go too far.
Yonder the fields, the castle stands proud,
but if you are lost..then just shout out.
For those of you who can't find your way,
here is the address in full display!!

Imagine this poem written in ink, calligraphy style on a piece of parchment. That would set the stage for a fairy-tale.


No comments: