Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Alas! winter has arrived. A steady silent chill creeps into our house and if we aren't careful, grips our toes, fingers, tips of our nose and ears before proceeding to thoroughly freeze the bones. I miss the sun, more because there it shines in the clear sky every day throwing ray after ray of light but absolutely no warmth. Cold winds pass by in hearty drafts. People are hidden under their winter wear and assorted overcoats and Canberra looks like a sea of black and grey wooly sheep herding along towards some source of warmth.

Summer ended quite splendidly though. Autumn is the most beautiful finale a full,eventful summer could have. Fall colors are magical. Shades of violent red, orange, yellow, rust and few odd greens mingle to create such an explosive effect against the cerulean blue skies. Leaves fall throughout the year but autumn leaves fall with grace. With a poise that denotes a silent farewell until next summer. Although fall was only a few weeks, it was dramatic. The streets were carpetted red and the trees lay barren with nothing but dry, empty branches.

This is my first real winter experience and boy am I armed for it! I already feel like a trifle cake what with all the layers I have donned.What I was not prepared for was the complete sedation. It is impossible to wake up at any hour of the morning and an even harder task to stay awake throughout the day. I find myself snuggling under throws and blankets that I have strewn conveniently all over house and having frequent long snoozes. The second I get out of my cocoon, the cold paralyses me and before I know I have dived back into my warm nest for another snooze to recover from this rude shock. Thank god, I am not working.

What I like about winter is the mist in the morning (I caught a glimpse the first few days before I went into hibernation) that looks like a big sheep that nicely settled down between two hills. I love winter fashion. Not everyone wears black. There are those who parade boldly in bright red or greens as if to infuse some cheer in the otherwise dreary day. I love hot soups and hot chocolate even more than I did in summers for they keep the food pipe warm while all else in the body shivers. I love mufflers and boots. I love looking at distant mountains wondering when they would turn white. And I have never enjoyed sleeping so much as I do now.


There is nothing better than a sharp, cutting winter to invoke a deep longing for another season of summer. Visions of summer hats and parasols swin before my eyes. Ah! the taste of granadas and iced lattes on a hot summer afternoon. The surf and sand....the thought of water now rattles my bones. I wish I didn't have to bathe everyday and could just vacuum myself. Well, winter woes aside, the crisp air and the clean white blanket of snow boasts its own charm. If nothing else, winters brings a common need in everyone to seek warmth.

No comments: